Wednesday, March 4, 2009

I hate the NICU

We've had Internet difficulties over the past week or so, so I haven't been able to update as much as I would like.  The boys continue to do well.  One of the boys developed a yeast infection in his umbilical line and has been on antibiotics and anti-fungal medication.  He has been recovering fine, but this means that he will be in the hospital under treatment for at least 2.5 more weeks.  

Both boys are tolerating their feedings well and we introduced the breast to one yesterday.  It was an amazing experience.  It took him a bit to figure out what was expected, but once he did he latched on and sucked well.

I'm just tired of the NICU.  I really want my babies home with me.  I know it's completely irrational.  I know that they are in the best place for them right now, but nothing is harder than leaving them every day.  It hurts and my heart aches every time.  The staff is amazing and handles my occasional teary mutterings well.  I know they are both taken care of, but it just stinks.

4 comments:

tranquility said...

totally hear you mama.
every day is closer to holding them at home......

xxx

The Momo Momma said...

Hi Sab4848
I have been following your journey from the momo website...My girls just came home from the NICU on jan 14th and Jan16th after 9.5 long weeks (born at 28 weeks)...The only thing I can say is everday you go there is one day closer to going home... I KNOW all about HATING The NICU and not b/c of the Staff ..just b/c you hate walking out those doors everyday without a baby...especially when you are seeing moms being discharged with their babies..that is the WORST!

Just keep on trucking.. the good thing is your momos made it pretty far and are great weights (both my girls were under 6lbs when they came home)!!! so Your NICU stay should be short lived.

Keep doing the best you can!
Take Care
Leeann
www.momomomma.blogspot.com

Tina BS said...

Thank you so much ladies. It is totally not the staff. They are amazing. Leann you said it right, its's just walking out those doors.

CNH said...

Big huge hugs for you Mama. I can't even imagine. I hope it's sooner than expected!