Friday, March 13, 2009

Breastfeeding in the NICU

It is so amazing.  One of my major concerns about having preemies was their ability to breastfeed.  Amazingly, it is the one thing they had no problems with.  *knock on wood*

14 hours after birth I started pumping with a hospital grade breast pump.  I got very little at first, but I wanted to condition my body to be prepared to feed 2 newborns.  I pumped every 2 hours consistentantly  It was a pretty easy schedule to keep up in the hospital, but once I got home and was traveling back and forth it became more difficult. I occasionally pumped there, but also used the opportunity to stretch my pumping session when necessary to 3 hours.  

The day I was discharge, 5 days after birth, my milk came in.  I continued with the every 2 hours, with the occasional 3 hour stretch.  I was startled to pump 12 oz in one sitting, so I started measuring to figure out how much I pumped in a 24 hour period.  23 days after birth I pumped around 55 -60 oz a day.  That's ALOT!.  I was very concerned about the amount because I read that you needed to pump 24 - 32 ounces for a singleton.  I thought there is no way I can do that.  I was thrilled to learn I was doing that x2!  

So, since my babies have been able to feed they have received my breastmilk, whether in a bottle or by breast.  

Now, for the latching onto the breast.  I was actually very concerned about the boys receiving a bottle or pacifier.  Everything I read said those are big no-nos if you want to have a successful breastfeeding relationship.  The NICU was not willing to let them feed solely on the breast.  I was initially very upset and then I realized I would do what it takes to get them out of the NICU and would work on feeding at the breast once they got home.  

Little did I know how few problems we would encounter.  As for the actual "latch on" I wish I had suggestions.  I used what I learned as a previous breastfeeding momma and doula training to position and offer the breast properly.  That was really key for the boys.  

Then I wanted to make it as easy as possible.  I initially pumped through a let down and then offered the breast.  After the appeared to get the hang of that I would do a little hand expression because they would initially get frustrated that they were working so hard and not getting anything so the expression allowed a little instant gratification.  Now, occasionally they get frustrated when I don't but they latch on perfectly.

I did have one problem that could have been a major one.  I had a clogged duct that quickly turned into mastitis.  I had a fever, the chills, the whole nine yards.  It came on suddenly.  I took a hot shower and massaged the affected breast.  I continued to pump, drink water, rest, and put warm compresses on the breast.  After 10 hours my fever went down dramatically so I decided to not go to the doctor and continue to rest, by 20 hours I was back to normal.  The problem was I tried to stretch my pumping out to 4 hours.  Not such a good idea.  I immediately returned back to the 2-3 hour routine.  

There is lots of great info on the web about exclusively pumping.  Here is a link to the site I found most helpful  http://www.ameda.com/breastpumping/moms/.  I'll also post additional links on the side of the blog that I use regularly.

Finally, I am so proud of my freezer full of milk that I had to share.  Thank goodness we don't freeze a lot of food.


3 comments:

CNH said...

I went on a trip with just Ben a few months ago and forgot my pump. I was only gone 36 hours, no biggie, right? HA! I got a raging case of mastitis on the plane ride home. There is a LOT of milk in my boobies!

I'm glad they are doing better, and I hope they are home with you SOON!

Chloe said...

Hi!

I've been following your blog from MDC. My twins were born 2 days after yours on February 21st at 33 weeks 1 day. I really enjoy reading your entries because they are so similar to what I've been going through myself. I hope things continue to go well for you.... and I agree. NICU sucks! Hopefully we'll both have both our babies home soon!

Unknown said...

Find info on Breastfeeding Children under Treatment at the NICU and the nutritional processes, supplements and products.