Saturday, October 18, 2008

Surprise!


Although I hired midwives for my care, I had forgotten to cancel my next appointment with my OBGYN. Being to late to cancel the appointment I decided to go ahead and go. What was the harm?

Since this was just a routine appointment, I told my husband there was no need for him to come. When the doctor tried to hear the heartbeat with the doppler she got a strong heartbeat, but baby was moving to much to get a good read. She decided to do an ultrasound just to make sure everything was ok.

In the initial ultrasound she was getting a "shadow," not abnormal for an external reading at this stage of the pregnancy.  She opted for an internal ultrasound which immediately looked to me like their might be two heads. I wasn't sure, after all I am not technician trained to read these things. She moved the screen closer and out of my view (clearly, while she did not say anything, she saw what I saw). After a few seconds of her not saying anything I asked if everything was ok, she said yes, but I have news, there are two!

I was out of breath, but oddly not surprised. I kept asking if she was sure and promptly asked her to hand me my phone so I could call my husband. I took a picture of the ultrasound screen and emailed it to him. I called and had him look at the email as I gave him the news. He was pretty shocked and of course since I was not done with my appointment I had to make the phone call quick.

Staring at the ultrasound was amazing. One baby was in the fetal position that you are used to seeing in the ultrasounds, but the other looked as if it were hugging the first one with its arm wrapped around the other and its leg in a spoon like position. What an incredibly site!

My OB expressed a very small concern that there was not a membrane separating the babies. Not being an expert on assessing multiples, she referred me to a perinatologist who specializes in high risk pregnancies and has more in depth equipment to asses the babies.

No comments: